Benefits of moving to a Regionalised Business System
There are many reasons for moving to a shared care model, including that the IT systems of some District Health Boards are so old they can no longer be supported.
Benefits to the Central Region include:
- Improved health as diagnoses and treatments are based on a more complete understanding of their condition, regardless of who they are, where or when.
- Less time spent on admin and more time with patients.
- Instant information sharing.
- Less risk of making a clinical mistake with 24/7 access to up-to-date and complete information.
- Easier to move between different Central Region locations as all use the same systems.
- Quicker and easier to schedule patient treatments as booking systems are online and in real time across the region.
- Seamless transfer of patient information between services within a DHB and regionally.
- Reduced operating costs as diagnostics are less likely to be repeated because results can't be accessed.
- Economies of scale in purchasing and maintaining IT infrastructure and systems collectively.
- Improved business continuity in the event of a disaster.
- More efficient patient administration.
- Patient self service capability.
- More satisfied customers.